AI/ML Seasonal Instructor
AI4ALL is a national nonprofit that opens doors to the artificial intelligence industry for historically excluded talent through education and mentorship. We nurture a diverse global community of students and emerging leaders who learn AI fundamentals and who then apply those principles to influence AI in a positive direction. AI4ALL has empowered over 15,000 people in all 50 states and globally with AI education through their Open Learning, Summer Programs, College Pathways, and Changemakers in AI programs. Seventy-nine percent of alumni are interested in a career in AI after completing an initial AI4ALL program, and many are already making significant impacts in the field, from educating their peers to winning “best paper” at top AI conferences. As of fall 2021, AI4ALL programs run in partnership with 23 universities and colleges around North America and reach over 700 high schools around the US.
By telling a new story about who can be a leader in AI, we’re creating tomorrow’s AI leaders and changing technology’s future. AI4ALL has received funding from Melinda Gates/Pivotal Ventures, Google.org, Prudential Financial, General Motors, Microsoft, EY, and SoftBank, among others and has been featured in the New York Times, TIME, CNN, The Washington Post, USA Today, and The Atlantic.
About College Pathways
In August 2020, AI4ALL launched College Pathways, an initiative designed to spark interest and increase persistence in AI-related careers for college students. The College Pathways initiative fosters the development of historically excluded voices at the college level that will lead and shape the future of AI, including Indigenous Peoples, Black, Hispanic or Latinx, Pacific Islander, and Southeast Asian; trans and non-binary; two-spirit; cis women and girls; lesbian, gay, bisexual, asexual, and queer; students with a demonstrated financial need (for example, highschool students who qualify for free/reduced lunch or college students who receive financial aid) and first-generation college student.
One of the programs offered by College Pathways is Discover AI, a student-centered learning experience that exposes college students of varying academic and technical backgrounds to fundamental AI concepts as well as societal impact, bias, and ethical challenges around AI through interactive discussions, conversations with AI experts, hands-on assignments, and a group project. Discover AI is currently offered during the Fall and Spring semesters and runs for 10 weeks each semester. Discover AI will be offered at 16 universities, including multiple Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU), Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI) and women's colleges in the 2022 - 2023 academic year.
About the Opportunity
The Instructor, College Pathways will be responsible for executing the Discover AI program at one to two universities during the Fall (September - November) and the Spring (mid-January - April/May) semesters during the 2022-2023 academic year. Instructors will be provided with all the necessary course resources including assignments, rubrics, readings and lecture slides. This is a part-time position that requires a time commitment of about 12 hours per week (teaching one cohort) or 16 hours per week (teaching two cohorts) for 10 weeks during the Fall and Spring semesters. (The preference will be given to those candidates who are available to teach two cohorts.) This role is virtual and therefore will require the instructor to respond to electronic communication from various stakeholders (students, colleagues, manager, etc) in a timely manner within reason including weekends. The Instructor will report to the Training and Instruction Manager, College Pathways.
What You’ll Do:
- Implementation includes weekly live instruction sessions (discussions and labs), providing feedback on student work, tracking student progress, and providing timely interventions to increase students’ likelihood of success.
- Participating in professional development (PD) activities including instructor orientation/onboarding sessions and 3-4 training workshops throughout the semester. Dates and times will be communicated to the instructor in advance.
- Participating in biweekly debriefing sessions with the Lead Instructors.
- Working closely with a teaching assistant (TA) and meeting (virtually) on a weekly basis to coordinate office hours, lab sessions, grading, communication with students and tracking student progress.
- Participating in monthly check-in team-wide instructor meetings.
- Fostering a sense of community among the Discover AI students.
- All new instructors are required to attend an on-boarding and orientation session.
Who You Are:
The College Pathways Instructor has both instructional and technical expertise. Specifically, this hire will bring:
- At least 2-3 years of experience in Computer Science, AI, ML, programming (Python), Computer Engineering, or a related discipline
- At least 2-3 years experience teaching for high school and / or college age students, with a particular emphasis on hands-on and inclusive pedagogy
- A strong commitment to increase diversity, equity and inclusion in technology
- An understanding of university culture and the opportunities and challenges associated with implementing programs for college students.
- A propensity for reliable and timely communication via email and messaging platforms like Slack and Discord.
We’d prefer candidates who:
- Thrive in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Work both independently and collaboratively
- Have experience teaching students within the AI4ALL target student audience
- Have experience applying active learning methodologies in an online environment/classroom
- The pay rate is $40/hour for 12 hours/week (if teaching one cohort) or 16 hours/week (if teaching 2 cohorts) during the 10 weeks of the program in the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Instructors who attend the monthly check-ins and PD activity offered to seasonal instructors by AI4ALL will be compensated accordingly for their time.
- Payments will be made according to the AI4ALL pay calendar (bi-weekly basis).
To apply, click on this link. We require a resume and a cover letter as part of the application. Please limit each of these documents to 1-2 pages in length. Alternatively, you can submit a video or audio recording, detailing your experience and qualifications.
The hiring process includes the following steps:
- Online application review
- Round 1: phone screening (15-30 min)
- Round 2: video interview on Zoom including the presentation of an interview task by the candidate (1 hour)
- Checking references
- Round 3: Final Q&A from candidates and feedback from the hiring manager (15-30 min)
- Offering the job
Important note: Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. AI4ALL does not sponsor employment visas.
AI4ALL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.